It is that time of the yr once you catch a flu, a sore throat, and a runny nostril, and the constant snorting of mucus isn’t helping you in any method. The mucus simply retains on getting drained into your stomach, making you are feeling queasy.
A sore throat and flu are comparatively extra bearable than the slimy mucus operating up and down your nostril, making it troublesome for you to breathe. As annoying as it might be, it is truly your physique’s mechanism to struggle off the infection-causing bacteria. How, you ask?
Study simple residence cures to get aid from submit nasal drip
The glands in the lining of your nose, upper airways, and throat are continually producing mucus to forestall your airways from drying out and to hold them moist. When the bacteria assault the higher airways, the warm and the moist areas present them with the right breeding ground.
Your physique’s inflammatory response to this bacterial assault is the manufacturing of thick and mucus phlegm, causing post-nasal drip. 
- 1 Causes of Post Nasal Drip
- 2 Signs of Post Nasal Drip
- 3 Preventive Ideas
- 4 Managing Post Nasal Drip
- 5 Further ideas for aid
Causes of Post Nasal Drip
- Allergic reactions, one of the widespread causes
- A deviated septum or displaced septum (wall of cartilage between your nostrils)
- Modifications within the weather or cold temperatures and dry air
- Sinus or viral infections resulting in a fever or cold
- Pregnancy, treatment for certain circumstances corresponding to blood strain, and contraception
- Spicy meals
Signs of Post Nasal Drip
- Scratchy and sore throat and chest
- A continuing want to clear your throat or swallow
- Coughing invariably, lack of voice, and a runny nostril
- Cough that worsens at night time
- Dangerous breath, cramps, and physique aches
- Dizziness, nausea, vomiting and bloating
- Face pressure and scorching flashes
- Shield your self from allergens akin to dust and pollen by overlaying your nose and mouth when outdoors.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks and give up smoking.
- Maintain yourself hydrated by consuming plenty of water and other wholesome drinks.
- Consuming dairy products can worsen your condition. Keep away from milk, cheese, and ice creams.
- Eat a weight loss plan wealthy in low-fat meat, entire grains, fruits, and greens.
- Post-nasal drip lasts for a few week. See a physician if your post-nasal drip persists for greater than 10 days.
Managing Post Nasal Drip
Listed here are some straightforward methods to get aid from publish nasal drip at residence with natural cures.
Technique 1: Nasal Irrigation – Neti Pot
A neti pot is used for nasal irrigation or nasal douche, which includes flushing out your nasal cavity with a saline answer. The saline answer, which is a mix of water and common salt, thins the mucus and helps in the straightforward elimination of post-nasal drip. 
As the widespread salt is antibacterial in nature, nasal irrigation removes the symptoms of allergy and colds, clears congested sinuses, and relieves you from any an infection.
It additionally helps unclog your nostril and eliminate your unwanted snorting behavior. The baking soda is an anti-inflammatory agent and soothes the irritated membranes of your nostril.
This easy technique is useful for youngsters who often endure from sinonasal problems and helps resolve their situation significantly.
Belongings you’ll want:
Gadgets needed to put together saline rinse for nasal irrigation
- Heat water – 1 cup
- Baking soda – ¼ teaspoon
- Widespread salt – ¼ teaspoon
Single-Step Remedy: Douche your nasal cavity with the saline answer
Add salt and baking soda to water and blend
- Dissolve ¼ teaspoon every of widespread salt and baking soda in 1 cup of heat water.
- Pour the answer right into a neti pot.
Clear your nasal passage with the saline rinse
- Tilt your head to one aspect while standing above a sink and squirt the saline answer into certainly one of your nostrils.
- Transfer your head ahead, back, and aspect to aspect in order that the solution reaches your nasal cavities.
- Once carried out, blow your nostril to take away the surplus mucus and the answer.
- Repeat the method with the other nostril.
Do this as soon as day by day for a number of days until you’re utterly relieved of the post-nasal drip.
Technique 2: Salt Water Gargle
Salt helps scale back the swelling by drawing excess water out of your nasal membrane. Additionally it is an antimicrobial agent that helps draw the moisture out, making it troublesome for the infection-causing micro organism to survive.
Analysis exhibits that gargling at the least 3 times a day effectively prevents upper respiratory tract infection in individuals with a wholesome immune system. 
Single-Step Technique: Dissolve salt in water and gargle
Use a salt water gargle for quicker restoration
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of widespread salt in 1 glass of warm water.
- Take a deep breath and sip a small amount of the solution.
- Tilt your head back in a 30-degree angle and maintain the back of your throat closed. Don’t swallow the answer.
- Gargle by making an “ahh” sound pushing the air up your throat for 30 seconds before spitting the answer out.
- Repeat the method until you’ve gargled all the answer.
Do this three to four occasions a day to get aid from post-nasal drip.
Technique three: Steam Inhalation
Inhaling steam loosens up the thick mucus and clears it from the back of your throat naturally, decongesting your nose and decreasing any inflammation in your nasal membranes.
A 2018 research revealed in Oxford Medical Case Reviews highlights that continual rhinosinusitis (CRS) impacts the nasal and paranasal sinuses, typically occurring because of a protracted case of acute sinusitis, having post-nasal drip as one of many signs. Steam inhalation was advised as one of many adjunct therapies to deal with CRS. 
While a humidifier will moisten the whole room, doing something immediately to your nose will provide you with higher outcomes, akin to leaning over a bowl of scorching water.
Adding peppermint oil to the bowl of scorching water will show you how to get aid quicker as it’s a natural expectorant that has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Single-Step Remedy: Inhale the steam
Put a number of drops of peppermint essential oil to scorching water and inhale the steam
- Boil water on a stove and switch it to a heat-safe bowl.
- Add 5-6 drops of peppermint oil to the recent water.
- Lean over the recent bowl of water and cover your head with a towel.
- Inhale the recent steam combined with peppermint oil for 5-10 minutes to loosen up the thick mucus in your nostrils.
- Remove the towel and blow your nose into the sink.
- Wash your nostril and arms.
Do that remedy twice a day until you get aid from a congested nostril.
Technique four: Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice is a rich source of vitamin C, which is believed to scale back cough, sore throat, chilly, and flu symptoms. An enzyme referred to as bromelain in pineapple is a robust anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent that helps with numerous respiratory problems akin to bronchial asthma and allergic reactions.
Its mucus-thinning (mucolytic) properties assist break up the mucus within the sinuses or lungs and expel the slimy substance simply. 
Single-Step Remedy: Drink pineapple juice
Drink pineapple juice along with different various therapies for aid
- Take a recent pineapple and take away its rind.
- Reduce it into chunks of 1 inch and put 1 cup of pineapple right into a blender.
- Add 1 cup of water and blend the pineapple chunks with it.
- Pour the juice in a glass and drink it.
Do this once each day to relieve your self from post-nasal drip.
Technique 5: Ginger
Ginger root is a fibrous underground rhizome or stem that’s wealthy in vitamin C, iron, calcium, phosphorus, and riboflavin.
It incorporates a high quantity of antioxidants that increase your immune system, and the lively elements of ginger root, together with gingerol and shagelol, have robust antimicrobial properties that struggle off the infection-causing bacteria.
Ginger additionally has anti-inflammatory properties that allow you to eliminate a sore throat. 
Belongings you’ll need:
- Ginger, freshly sliced – 1 ½ inch
- Organic uncooked honey – 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 cup
Step 1. Boil ginger in water and strain the infused water
Strain ginger water after boiling
- Pour 1 cup of water in a kettle and place it on a cooktop.
- Add 1 to 2 inches of freshly sliced ginger to the water, convey it to a boil, after which simmer it for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the ginger-infused water settle down.
- Strain the infused liquid into a cup using a sieve.
Step 2. Mix honey to the ginger water and sip on it
Eat your ginger tea with a touch of honey
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of organic raw honey to the ginger water and blend nicely.
- Sip on the ginger honey tea to scale back post-nasal drip symptoms.
Drink this once you really feel the need.
Technique 6: Garlic
Garlic is a really potent antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ingredient. It has been used as a drugs since ages to treat numerous bacterial and fungal infections.
It controls the overproduction of mucus, prevents an infection, and promotes fast therapeutic. This technique requires further research to affirm its efficacy to heal the post-nasal drip. 
Single-Step Remedy: Eat uncooked garlic
Eat raw garlic to mellow down the cold symptoms
- Peel 1 garlic clove and mince it for inner consumption. Eat it 3 times a day.
- Add it as one of many components in your cooking.
Proceed with the remedy till your post-nasal drip is totally cured.
Technique 7: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties that help scale back the irritation of the nasal passages and battle the micro organism.
These claims lack scientific rationalization however have helped many suffering from submit nasal drip. Apple cider vinegar helps with the straightforward elimination of mucus by thinning it out and boosts your immunity to struggle flu and colds.
Use apple cider vinegar that is unpasteurized and has the “mother” in it. The mom in apple cider vinegar is principally a culture of excellent and useful bacteria that flip apple cider into vinegar. It’s a complicated construction of useful acids that have numerous well being advantages.
Belongings you’ll need:
You will have these three gadgets to use this house remedy
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Natural raw honey – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 glass
Single-Step Remedy: Mix all the components and drink the combination
Mix apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water and drink
- Pour 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into 1 glass of water and add 1 tablespoon of natural raw honey.
- Mix all of the elements and drink the solution on an empty abdomen twice a day.
Do this till your post-nasal drip goes away.
Further ideas for aid
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer to hold your own home humid. This helps scale back post-nasal drip.
- To stop the mucus from draining down your throat, prop your head up with a pillow whereas sleeping at night time.
- You can even use diluted apple cider vinegar for gargling. Simply add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to heat salt water and gargle.
- You may as well use eucalyptus essential oil as an alternative of peppermint oil. It has anti-inflammatory properties and incorporates expectorant compounds that help break up the thick mucus and drain it simply.
- Consuming a glass of warm lemon juice combined with 1 teaspoon of natural raw honey may also be useful in decreasing the post-nasal drip symptoms.
- Principi N, Esposito S. Nasal Irrigation: An Imprecisely Defined Medical Process. Worldwide journal of environmental research and public well being. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5451967/. Revealed Might 11, 2017.
- Allan GM, Arroll B. Prevention and remedy of the widespread cold: making sense of the evidence. CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l’Affiliation Medicale Canadienne. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3928210/. Revealed February 18, 2014.
- Yu JL, Becker SS. Postnasal drip, and postnasal drip-related cough. Current opinion in otolaryngology & head and neck surgical procedure. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26731683. Revealed February 2016.
- Passali D, Passali GC, Bellussi LM, et al. Bromelain’s penetration into the blood and sinonasal mucosa in patients with persistent rhinosinusitis. Acta otorhinolaryngologica Italica : organo ufficiale della Societa italiana di otorinolaringologia e chirurgia cervico-facciale. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6036946/. Revealed June 2018.
- Singer E, Miller JE. Improved quality of life associated with long-term every day use of guaifenesin (Mucinex®) in a affected person with persistent rhinosinusitis: a case report. Oxford medical case studies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6109196/. Revealed August 25, 2018.
- Min C, Peng C, Wei G, et al. Moxibustion with Chinese language herbal has good impact on allergic rhinitis. Worldwide journal of medical and experimental drugs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4659062/. Revealed September 15, 2015.